Week 1 (14th Sept – 20th Sept, 2020):
Wanna know about what happened next in my Season of Docs Journey? How and what did I do in week one? Well then, keep reading…
The Doc development phase finally and officially began on 14th September 2020. To get started with the development work, I decided to take a step by step approach to getting started with the actual project work, which I had already discussed with my mentors and had documented in the Roadmap document.
While following the steps to start the work I faced some challenges. These were:
- No issues were filed for updating the docs to the latest versions (GNOME 3.38 in this case).
- I wasn’t clear about the workflow to get started with creating documentation for a completely new version.
- Didn’t have the latest version of GNOME running on a personal workstation.
To find out the solutions for my queries, I checked on IRC to get in touch with my mentors. However, as I couldn’t get hold of them, I sent them an email listing out my queries for them.
In the meanwhile, before I received any response from my mentors, one of the documentation maintainers (Andre Klapper) contacted me on IRC asking if I was facing any issues, and if so, he suggested that I could discuss it on the open channel where anybody who might be online can answer my queries.
As such, I started a discussion with him about the queries I had, where he suggested:
- If the issues are not already filled, then I need to check the application documentation myself and test it out. If there is something which is not up to date, then, I need to file an issue and start working on it.
- He also suggested that in case I’m unable to get my hands on a stable version of GNOME 3.38, then I can start working on GNOME 3.37.9 for the time being.
After a while, my mentor Shaun also replied back where he also suggested similar things. He suggested that if I can’t find the stable latest version of GNOME, then I should work on 3.36. Luckily however, by then I had already managed to set up the latest version of GNOME on my system using a VM of the latest Fedora test image.
To set up the latest version of GNOME, rather than messing up with my current primary stable OS (which is my daily driver and I don’t have any backup system for it), I decided to set up a VM of Fedora 33 (pre-release test image) locally on my workstation as it had GNOME 3.37.9 pre-installed.
To set up the VM I decided to start with GNOME Boxes. The very first time I created a VM on boxes, I just had some theoretical knowledge about creating VMs, however, because of this project I finally got an opportunity to try it out. After installing the VM, I am currently working on creating a list of all changes needed to be made with GNOME’s Core Apps. The first app I started working on is Boxes where I started checking out the latest version of the available documentation with the latest version on Boxes running on GNOME 3.37.9 to identify areas which need to be updated. My first goal for this task is to update all the existing documents to the latest version of GNOME.
To this end, I have filed an issue on the Boxes GitLab repository to track all updates related to the progress of this task. To check out how far along I am in this journey, you can check the issue out here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-boxes/-/issues/611